The Phi Chi chapter was founded in 1985 at the University of Chicago and became the first National Panhellenic Sorority on campus. Our chapter sub-motto is “Personal Commitment” which shares its initials with our chapter’s founder, Peg Crawford.
Alpha Omicron Pi was founded on January 2nd, 1897 at Barnard College by four outstanding women: Elizabeth Heywood Wyman, Jessie Wallace Hughan, Stella George Stern Perry, and Helen St. Clair Mullan. Described as “friendly, adventurous, frank and merry, and enthusiastically devoted to each other,” the founders of AOII established a precedence of excellence for all sisters to come.
AOII does not have an official crest, as it was founded on Greek—not medieval—ideals. Instead, AOII uses its flower, the Jacqueminot Rose, as its symbol. AOII’s official color is cardinal, its jewel the ruby, and its unofficial mascot the panda. The badge of Alpha Omicron Pi is composed of the three initial letters of the three words of the motto, “A,” “O,” and “∏,” superimposed upon one another.